October 25, 2021 | As part of its ongoing commitment to build an environmentally conscious trade show for all attendees, Toy Fair New York continues to rollout sustainability initiatives to understand and address its impact.
In 2022, the biggest change will come in the form of the Toy Fair Locator guide, which will go completely digital and be available exclusively through the official Toy Fair Mobile App. From how best to navigate the show floor to a complete lineup of educational programming and a multitude of sponsorship opportunities, the app will have it all.
“With roughly 30,000 copies of the guide typically printed and made available onsite at previous shows, this is a critical step in helping cut back on the waste generated during our global event,” said Kimberly Carcone, senior vice president of global market events at The Toy Association. “Trade shows are not typically viewed as placing sustainable initiatives high on their priority list but we, along with our partners, are looking to change that narrative not just in our words but through our actions.”
Since 2015, The Toy Association in collaboration with the show’s service providers, have taken active steps year after year toward creating greener practices, from initiatives to generate less waste to the use of more sustainable show materials.
T3 Expo, the official contractor of record for Toy Fair, will maintain the following practices that were rolled out during the 2020 show:
- The collection and recycling of cardboard will be prioritized for show move-in and move-out.
- A 53-foot truck will be made available in dock 46 to allow for overflow cardboard to be placed during the show.
- Dedicated staff will be placed at compactors to monitor the contents being placed inside.
- Alma carpet, a recyclable carpet alternative, will be used in the product zone aisles.
- Certain show signage will be made from recyclable fabric materials rather than hard wall build outs. The material is also lighter and easier to ship.
The Javits Center has made sustainability a critical focus to improve the quality of life for its employees, visitors, neighborhood, and ecosystem. Its latest initiatives that will impact Toy Fair NY ’22 include:
- Working with several institutions to study the impact of its conservation efforts while introducing new elements to have a maximum impact on the environment.
- Installing more than 100 energy-efficient HVAC units, new energy-efficient lighting, and new recycling containers throughout the facility as part of its recent renovation.
- Investing in a cutting-edge energy dashboard that allows designated engineers and employees to monitor consumption levels for electric, gas, and water.
- Achieving a LEED Silver certification by meeting the goal of exceeding New York State’s mandate of reducing energy and water consumption by 20 percent by 2020.
“Toy Fair has established itself on the global stage as a premier event for launching the latest innovations in playthings, so it only makes sense that as a trade show, Toy Fair evolves and continues to strive toward the latest advancements,” said Carcone. “We recognize the growing importance of sustainability to both our exhibitors and guests (and the world at large) and it’s a long-term investment we are dedicated to.”
Toy Fair New York will take place from Saturday, February 19 through Tuesday, February 22, 2022 in New York City. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required to attend the 2022 show, in accordance with the Javits Center and NYC-mandated proof of vaccination for indoor activity guidelines. Complete details on registration, educational programming, hotel reservations, and more can be found at www.ToyFairNY.com.